Re: Windows Telnet

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:50:58PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> There is *no* comparison between that barely screen-oriented
> Windows Telnet and Gnome Terminal and konsole, both of which
> work great, and, even though they are "heavier", look much
> better than xterm.

i've found some snags in gnome-terminal (1.4.0.6 under woody)
that haven't interfered with my windo~1 PuTTY experiences...

- some items are not blanked properly; that is, when new text at
  the bottom scrolls text off the top, artifacts appear to remain
  that should have scrolled off. sometimes refreshing (^L in vi)
  makes it better, sometimes not. editing can get quite hairy
  with this snag.

- my prompt includes escape sequences to hilite user@host:path
  and gnome-terminal gets all confused on cursor positioning,
  particularly when using word-delete to edit the command line.
  (i'd expect the linux console tohave similar conniptions, but
  it doesn't!)

i'm considering going back to xterm or rxvt...

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #81 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
Looking to AUTOMATE APT-GET UPGRADES? Don't! Sooner or later
there will be configuration questions, or dependency conflicts!
You can DOWNLOAD (and not actually install) the latest and
greatest automatically, though, with a crontab command such as
	apt-get update && apt-get upgrade --download-only
This updates and downloads in /var/cache/apt/archives, but does
not install packages until requested manually.  Later, when
it's convenient, do the actual install, by hand:
	apt-get upgrade
See "man apt-get" and "man crontab".