fetchmail can't send to exim

Hello,

I installed Debian on this machine several months ago and at the time it
did not need to do any email so I didn't configure it during the install.

But now our network has been reconfigured and I need to use it to fetch my
mail.  I used the default exim configuration file and installed fetchmail
and fetchmail appears to be getting the mail ok, but it must be going into
/dev/null because I can't find it anywhere.

I can send email from one user on the localhost to another and it seems to
work ok.  Exim appears to be set to run in /etc/inetd.conf.  I also tried
to run it directly as a daemon (exim -bd) but it still didn't work.

I can't find any messages in any of the files in /var/log that seem to
have anything to do with this.

Can anyone suggest where I should look next?

Thanks
  -Scott