Re: Timing a program run?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 02:46:19 -0800
"Eric G. Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 04:31:39AM -0600, Gerald Livingston wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 02:07:03 -0800
> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > > This isn't shell specific.  And you're probably going to have to
> > > get a surgeon to remove your hand from your forhead from hitting
> > > it so hard.  8:o)
> > >
> > > time <command>
> >

> > AHHH -- there it is, in "man bash" buried in "SHELL GRAMMAR -->
> > Pipelines", where it doesn't stand out at all.
>
> No. You probably want the time program in package "time".  It'll live
> at/usr/bin/time.

No, I don't have the 'time' package installed (which is why 'locate'
didn't find it) and using "time command" works fine. It's listed in "man
bash" as mentioned above as "The reserved word 'time'".

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com