Timing a program run?

OK -- dumb question that I can't remember the answer to and can't find
by googling.

How the heck do I time how long it takes a certain script to run?

I've searched the archives and google and apropos and apt-cache on all
kinds of variations of "time" (timing, timer, etc) and can't find
anything.

Do I need to write a 'date +%s' in to the beginning and end of the
script and do the math when it finishes?

Another dumb bash question later if I can't figure it out.

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com