Re: sshd does not detach

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:53:25PM +0100, dhofstee wrote:
> I use the standard ssh package and sshd works, but only if I use the -D
> switch (-D==not become daemon). This -D problem is a recent "feature".
> Without the -D option, no process is created and connection is refused
> (logically). If I do the "/etc/init.d/ssh start" everything looks ok
> (the dot appears) but the daemon isn't there. I tried to reinstall and
> reconfigure to no avail. When I used the -d (debug) option I found no
> weird messages.

-d suppresses daemonization, so is unlikely to help.

Do you see a message like "sshd[.....]: fatal: daemon() failed: Function
not implemented" in /var/log/auth.log? If so, sshd is not at fault; your
/dev/null is broken, which causes the daemon() library function to fail.
See http://bugs.debian.org/145451 for more discussion and a solution.

> A minor ssh bug is also that the init scripts do not warn if no pid file
> is generated (indicating failure).

Please file this bug report. I don't think I've noticed it already
filed; if it is, well, there are enough duplicates already that I don't
mind another one, especially when it's this simple.

Cheers,