Re: Getting a Higher Version w/out upgrading

"Stig Are M. Botterli" <samb@mo.himolde.no> writes:

> In article <200212311236.12968.hal@thresholddigital.com>, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>>
>> When thinking about this, I wonder: Is there a way to easily specify and add
>> versions later than in stable for only specific packages?  In other words, is
>> there some way I can do an apt-get and specify Perl 5.8 (assuming it's
>> already packaged) without having to move to the testing or unstable branch?
>
> Add the following line to /etc/apt/apt.conf:
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
>
> With this, apt-get will default to installing packages from stable. To
> install a more up-to-date .deb if available, simply throw in '-t testing' or
> '-t unstable' as an argument to apt-get. Works brilliantly.
>
> [ ... ]

I presume that this can also be done just as easily by putting a file
with that line into the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d directory, correct?

Also ... does anyone know if the "aptitude" program also abides by this
APT::Default-Release property in /etc/apt/apt.conf?

Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com