Re: USB Mouse Logitech Trackman

Casey Scott wrote:
	I can not get my Logitech Trackman USB mouse to work at all! The
kernel (2.4.20) does detect it during boot, and the usbdevfs is mounted.
However, when I cat or tail -f /dev/input/mice, and move the mouse,
nothing changes. The mouse obviously doesn't work in X.
[snip]
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 301, change 2, 1.5 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 303, change 0, 1.5 Mb/s
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.3-2, assigned address 2
usb.c: kmalloc IF cfded1c0, numif 1
usb.c: skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb.c: USB device number 2 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: Logitech
Product: Trackball
: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Trackball] on usb2:2.0

I just had the exact same problem. I upgraded from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20. It took me a few hours to realize that the last line should have read:

input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Trackball] on usb2:2.0

I took a hard look at my .config file, and there is a new option you need to enable:

CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

After some digging I found this was introduced in 2.4.19. I did not find documention suggesting to enable this when upgrading though. "make oldconfig" has this set to N by default. *sigh*

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg