Re: Samba setup question: security setting

Lourens replying to Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

[snipped]

      >  I suppose this has nothing to do with Debain, but what does it
      >  mean to be a Primary Domain Controler?  And does that apply to
      >  Win98 and WinME machines or only W2K/XP/NT machines?

Some may argue that for a small home LAN it might not be necessary to do
the PDC thing. It takes little extra time to setup and there are
advantages using the Domain model - wrt Doze, i.e.

Unfortunately, Samba documentation seems to lag somewhat, the principles
are the however the same:

IBM TUTORIAL: USING SAMBA AS A PRIMARY DOMAIN CONTROLLER
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba.html?t=gr,l=335,p=SambaTutorial

CROSSNODES: BUILD A PRIMARY DOMAIN CONTROLLER WITH SAMBA, PART 2
Part 1 is also there <grin>
http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article/0,,12083_1151091,00.html

There's a good Samba resource from the University of Oregon called "The
Unofficial Samba HOWTO" (http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html)
(This is a great doc)

Using Samba as PDC
Nice article in the Feb 2002 edition of Linux Magazine,
http://www.linux-mag.com

Should you wish to use a GUI tool to configure Samba, you are IMHO
better off with Webmin. The last time I looked, SWAT removed all of the
usefull comments from smb.conf

HTH

***

Treat yourself with Debian Linux and Open Source Software
http://www.debian.org/social_contract

***

Lourens Steenkamp
R.S.A.