Re: Upgrading from stable to testing with apt-get?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:23:01 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> Logical vs. Primary.  Logical partitions are a work-around for the fact
> that you can only have four primary partitions.  So 1-4 are reserved for
> primary partitions, and logical partitions start at 5.
>
> See, it *is* logical =)
>
> I'm not sure why you can only have four primary partitions, nor whether
> the logical partition scheme (which after all sounds like a hack) has
> any pitfalls.

If you want to use primary and logical partitions, you can only have three
primaries, because one primary is needed to become the extended partition,
which contains the logical partitions.  The logical partitions are kind of
a linked list;  each one holds a pointer to the next one.

And yes, it's a hack (to get around limited space in the boot sector), but
it works OK.

Try reading:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.