Re: Upgrading from stable to testing with apt-get?

Josh Robinson wrote:
thanks for all the advice: still no joy as yet, though

when i boot from the CD, it gives me about 5 options, most of which
involve a new installation. there is, however, the option of executing a
shell command.

when i do that, it tells me i'm about to run ash (whatever that might be)
and that the 'hard disc filesystems are mounted on /target'.

i then get what looks like an ordinary prompt, each line beginning with ~#

can anyone give me a list of commands i need to type? (with as much detail
as possible, as i'm a relative newbie, and still trying to get to grips
with this!)

Did you try the one I mentioned before?

	cfdisk /dev/hda

No harm is done if your disk isn't really at /dev/hda; cfdisk will just say it can't find it, and exit. Try hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd. Also, if cfdisk doesn't work, try "fdisk -l /dev/hda" (and that's a dash-L, not dash-one).

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/