Re: David Grudek/COR/AXE is out of the office.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:33:15 -0500, Antonio Rodr P `Y wrote:

> Let me add another element to this topic: In the English language, at
> least in its American version, the simple division operation 6/2 = 3  in
> its long form is written
>
>              3
>          ________
>          |   6
>     2   |
>    ___ |
>
> which corresponds to 6 divided by 2 is 3, but is not exactly
> co-sequential with its written form. Hence the common confusion among
> the not so educated as to the written notation. I find the notation used
> in (the rest of the planet ?) other parts more corresponding to the
> human language:

>     6 |  2
>             3

Ih the UK, at least, when I went to school, the second form (short
division) is used when the divisor <= 12, and the first form (long
division) is used when the divisor > 12, in order to keep the quotient
clear of the intermediate arithmetic.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.