Re: Problems with fglrx driver and kernel 2.6

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 the mental interface of Roberto Sanchez told:

I am currently running 2.6.0-mm2, and have experienced some strange
behavior from XFree86.  Basically, I had to install the ATI fglrx
driver to get decent performance in Neverwinter Nights (a Christmas
gift, w00t).  My card is a Radeon 9000 Pro, and I am running X4.3 from
experimental.

The driver (version 3.7.0, released on 12-29-2003) builds fine against
the 2.6 kernel, but when X starts I receive this error:

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1) found

Try to set
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0
This has already been done (Otherwise it would not work under 2.4)

in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. PCI:1:0:1 is the second dvi-one.
Check this by your output of lspci -v.
Did that.

But anyway: Blow away that strange commercial driver. Use the DRI
driver from the the kernel source tree. It works perfect with a
R250 (Radeon 9000 [pro]) chip on XFree86 4.3 and Kernel 2.6.0 ;-)
I have been using the DRI drivers for several months now.  However,
even wint the lowest quality graphics settings, the game is downright
unplayable.  Apparently, Neverwinter Ngihts makes use of some ATI-
specific extensions.

Ciao

Elimar

-Roberto