Problems with fglrx driver and kernel 2.6

I am currently running 2.6.0-mm2, and have experienced some strange
behavior from XFree86.  Basically, I had to install the ATI fglrx
driver to get decent performance in Neverwinter Nights (a Christmas
gift, w00t).  My card is a Radeon 9000 Pro, and I am running X4.3 from
experimental.

The driver (version 3.7.0, released on 12-29-2003) builds fine against
the 2.6 kernel, but when X starts I receive this error:

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1) found

The strange part is that under 2.6.0, this error is fatal and causes
the X server to fail to start.  Under 2.4.23, the error message
appears in the XFree68.log, but it is not fatal.  I have Googled
around for quite some time now and cannot find this specific problem
mentioned anywhere.  There is much discussion about the error message,
but not this situation where it works in 2.4 and not in 2.6.

Any ideas?

-Roberto