Re: debian distro on a floppy

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 08:17:28AM -0500, Debian User wrote:
> years ago, when trying to fix a hdd problem, i came across floppy
> images that had all things necessary to run from a floppy. my hope
> is i can move the linux drive to /ved/hda, boot/run w/ one of these
> images, change lilo.conf to reflect /dev/hda (right now, that disk
> reflects /dev/hdc ... kinda useless), run lilo, and reboot. after
> this, i will recreate a boot disk and hopefully not mess up the root
> filesyetem information.

This is how Jan does it:  Boot off one of one of the Debian install CDs, go for a shell, mount the Linux partition, do ``chroot <Linux partition mountpoint>''.  Voila, you have your system as if booted single-user.

The diskette you ask for is on these CDs, or:

Bootdisk:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/rescue.bin
Rootdisk--you'll be asked to insert this during the boot process:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/root.bin
To get it on the diskette under the crippled OS you've mentioned:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/tools/rawrite1.zip
Which to unzip:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/tools/unz512x3.exe

--
Jan Minar                    Chvostny Snovy krok. \/\ Whoopy Boo Year.