Module loading problem with 2.6.0 kernel

Hi!

I've installed a 2.6.0 kernel image on my notebook which runs Debian
GNU/Linux unstable. I configured the kernel in a very modular way, i.e.
everything not necessary for booting is built as a module and not
statically compiled into the kernel.

I have installed the new modules-init-tools as well and I have added
aliases to the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory and run update-modules
afterwards, so that /etc/modprobe.conf reflects my setup (I think).

Now, quite some modules get automatically loaded, but some don't. E.g.
the sound modules got automatically loaded with the 2.4 kernel when I
loaded xmms or xine. With the 2.6 kernel it doesn't. However, if I do

# modprobe sound-slot-0

then it works as well. So, this proves that the alias is correctly set
up. The same applies to the ethernet card module: If I load it by hand,
it works, but it doesn't get automatically loaded though the alias to
eth0 is correctly set up.

What am I missing?

TIA.

--