Re: Unable to boot new kernel 2.6.0

On Monday 29 December 2003 06:29 pm, Shahid Bhatti wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have installed the new kernel deb package 2.6.0 and after configuring
> lilo and rebooting I am not able to boot the machine successfully. I am
> getting the following error:
> VFS:Cannot open root device "301" or unknwon-block(3,1)
> Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs or unknown-block(3,1)
> And the system just hangs there. I am using sid distribution.
> Any help from you will be highly appreciated, thanks.
>
> --SmB

I assume you mean the 2.6.0 kernel-image packages at
http://people.debian.org/~herbert/

I had the same problem with the 686 optimized kernel.  I had an important
error message above the ones you quoted, though, about trying to load the
initrd which was 4224 blocks in size into a RAM disk that was 4096 blocks in
size.  Obviously, this didn't work, so then the kernel couldn't load the file
system that was supposed to be in this ram disk.

My solution (not necessarily the best one, but it appears to work -- I'm
running the kernel now) was to add ramdisk_size=8192 to the append= line in
my lilo.conf (see below).

Josh

> This is my simple /etc/lilo.conf here which looks like the following:
> lba32
> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/hda1
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> delay=20
> vga=normal
> default=Linux
> #image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>          label=Linux
>          append="root=/dev/hda1"

change this to be
          append="root=/dev/hda1 ramdisk_size=8192"