Re: MAKEDEV problem

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 07:10:36PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 02:48:10PM -0600, Nick Welch wrote:
> | Just did an install of sarge via the beta debian-installer image, and
> | MAKEDEV is telling me this:
> |
> | /sbin/MAKEDEV: line 1: major_device-mapper=254: command not found
>
> This looks like it is supposed to be a shell script, and in the shell
> script is an assignment line.  However, the '-' there can not be part
> of a variable name, so the shell thinks that is a command.  Which,
> naturally, is not found.

I've been looking at the /sbin/MAKEDEV script and have come to the same
realization.

The loop reads items from /proc/devices, and in that file, we find:

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  3 ide0
 22 ide1
254 device-mapper

Apparently MAKEDEV never expects to see an item with a hyphen in the
name.

> Somehow your script is incorrect.  That script is part of the
> 'makedev' package.  Try reinstalling that package and see if the
> script changes.

The latest versions on both sarge and sid seem to be the same, which is
the same version I have installed.  I just stumbled upon something
though - I looked through loaded kernel modules and saw one called
"dm_mod" (the "dm" apparently standing for device mapper), which I
removed.  Now it works!  device-mapper disappeared from /proc/devices,
and MAKEDEV works like normal.  Awesome. :)  Now, I wonder exactly whose
bug this is...

--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
An American's a person who isn't afraid to criticize the president but is