Font settings in gvim

After today's upgrade in sarge, I have vim 6.2.x on my machine. The
new gtk icons look good. But I am facing a problem in setting the
guifont in ~/.vimrc.

I have the following line in my .vimrc:

   set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 10

It does not appear to have any effect on gvim :-(
I get the display in some monospaced font which is really s p a c e d
out. After invoking gvim if I do a

    :set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 10

I get the fonts to display properly.

Has anyone noticed/experienced this problem? Should I file a bug report
on this behaviour?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                            GPG KeyID : F0225B2C
  Fingerprint: F7CC 61A8 C6C1 D29C 2863  4E20 8A78 A19D F022

Many people feel that if you won't let them make you happy, they'll make you
suffer.