Re: Spamassassin on Debian HOWTO?

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 11:08:19PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 10:32:46PM -0500, Stephen Touset wrote:
> > /bin/bash must be accessible from within the chroot jail. For instance,
> > on most systems, "chroot /etc" would not work, because /etc/bin/bash
> > does not exist.
>
> So to confirm my understanding, if he chroot jail is
> /root/woody-chroot, I would have to create
> /root/woody-chroot/bin/ and copy bash into it?

Yes, and make sure to copy any libraries it needs too.

> Just out of curiosity, would a link to the real bash work?

A hard link would work if /root/woody-chroot is on the same filesystem
as /bin. A symbolic link wouldn't work; symbolic links are resolved at
the point when the file is opened, and since the real /bin isn't visible
from inside the chroot the symbolic link won't be resolved properly.

I think I'd generally prefer just copying the file, though, because it
saves me trying to think about what happens when the main system is
upgraded.

Cheers,