Re: 2 NIC's, assigned in wrong order

Jan:

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:33:17AM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 12:56:47PM -0700, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> > I have two Ethernet cards (NICs) in a PII-300.  The first recognized is
> > an NE2000 ISA clone at IRQ10, and the second is a PCI at (shared) IRQ
> > 12.
> >
> > I would like the second (the PCI) to be assigned as ETH0, and the first
> > (ISA) to be ETH1.
>
> I have rather similar problem.  And what is the solution when the cards
> are the same type? -- The closest I got is:
>
> nameif (8)           - name network interfaces based on MAC addresses
>
> But I couldn't find nameif called from anywhere--so I guess the right
> thing to do would be to call it from /etc/init.d/networking or
> /etc/networking/interfaces.

That seemed like such a good suggestion.  I created scripts to assign
the desired names to the desired MAC addresses and placed them in
/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/, and then added invocation in the interfaces
file, but I keep getting the messages (in syslog):

Dec 28 19:11:31 ve6wvc nameif: cannot change name of eth1 to eth0: File exists
Dec 28 19:11:31 ve6wvc nameif: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1: Device or resource busy

A typical script was "eth0.sh":

    #!/bin/sh

    #       Set up eth0 as the 3COM card (system sets it to eth1 at boot)

    /sbin/nameif -s eth0 00:50:da:08:f0:4a

    exit 0

with invocation in interfaces as:

    auto eth0 eth1

    iface eth0 inet static
      pre-up     /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/eth0.sh
      address    192.168.0.3
      network    192.168.0.0
      netmask    255.255.255.0
      broadcast  192.168.0.255
      gateway    192.168.0.1

    iface eth1 inet static
      pre-up     /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/eth1.sh
      address    192.168.0.30
      network    192.168.0.0
      netmask    255.255.255.0
      broadcast  192.168.0.255
      gateway    192.168.0.1

Unfortunately it failed as noted above, even though I downed the network
and then restarted it.  Any ideas or insights?

Merry Christmas to you too.

Dean

--
				Dean Provins