Re: A good book on C Programming?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Gavin Henry wrote:

> I need some good books. I used to have one called "A Book On C", but sold it,
> and I have been reading various tutorials on the web and the many devoted
> websites.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

Well, the definitive ones are written by Kernighan and Ritchie (for C)
and by Stroustrup (for C++), but I wouldn't recommend those for a
refresher session.

I found the C Primer Plus and C++ Primer Plus books by Mitchell Waite
and Stephen Prata very accessible and thorough. I can really recommend
those. After reading them please do pick up the K&R or S books for the
more in-depth knownledge if you feel you need it.

> One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more with
> GNU/Linux?

There is no good answer to that one. Most GNU/Linux software is written
in plain C, the main exception being all the Qt stuff.

I tend to use C as I like it better, but for the few large projects I
did I chose C++ because I feel that OOP lends itself better for that
(reusablilty and so on). However there have been fought mighty
flame-wars over that so don't just take my word for it...

HTH

Grx HdV