Re: Local mails are not delivered

Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote in message news:<14vPH-5PD-5@gated-at.bofh.it>...

> What is your mail setup?  How do you have local users stored?
> (/etc/passwd? NIS? ldap?)  How is sendmail configured to identify
> local accounts and invalid recipients?

As always the problem is sitting in front of the keyboard ;-) Since I
copied a my home directory from my old suse system I inherited an old
~/.procmailrc for the local user. I have adaped this file and local
mails are now delivered as expected.

> Post some logs too, and maybe a sendmail expert will explain what is
> going on and what the source of confusion between the programs is.
> (I've never used sendmail; only exim and postfix)

One problem is left:

I use a dailup connection. At my old linux system I had a local
sendmail daemon which delivers "outgoing" mails when executing
"sendmail -q". The local sendmail daemon puts all outgoing mail in a
queue and keeps them until "sendmail -q" is executed. For receiving
mails I used fetchmail to pull the mail from my provider and deliver
them to local users.

When I give "outgoing" mails to sendmail it simply hangs for a while.
After then the mails appear in the mail queue. I would like that the
mails are placed in the queue immediately. Further I need an address
mapping that sendmail replaces the FROM-address with some my mail
provider accepts. I used /etc/mail/genericstable for that but I seems
not to work.

Can anybody point out where my mistakes might be?

Thanks in advance.

BTW: Is there a way to configure sendmail so that it does a
user-password-authentification before sending the mails to the
provider's MTA?

Cheers, Uwe

Here are some of my config files:

/etc/mail/sendmail.conf:
DAEMON_MODE="daemon";
DAEMON_PARMS="";
DAEMON_HOSTSTATS="Yes";
DAEMON_MAILSTATS="No";
QUEUE_MODE="daemon";
QUEUE_INTERVAL="";
QUEUE_PARMS="";
MSP_MODE="none";
MSP_INTERVAL="";
MSP_PARMS="${QUEUE_PARMS}";
MSP_MAILSTATS="No";
MISC_PARMS="";
CRON_MAILTO="root";
CRON_PARMS="";
AGE_DATA="";
DAEMON_STATS="${DAEMON_MAILSTATS}";
MSP_STATS="${MSP_MAILSTATS}";

/etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
divert(-1)dnl
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# $Sendmail: debproto.mc,v 8.12.6 2002-10-18 13:16:10 cowboy Exp $
#
# Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Richard Nelson.  All Rights Reserved.
#
# ./cf/debian/sendmail.mc.  Generated from sendmail.mc.in by
configure.
#
# sendmail.mc prototype config file for building Sendmail 8.12.6
#
# Note: the .in file supports 8.7.6 - 8.12.6, but the generated
#       file is customized to the version noted above.
#
# This file is used to configure Sendmail for use with Debian systems.
#
# If you modify this file, you will have to regenerate
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
# by running this file through the m4 preprocessor via one of the
following:
#       * `sendmailconfig`
#       * `make`
#       * `m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf`
# The first two options are preferred as they will also update other
files
# that depend upon the contents of this file.
#
# The best documentation for this .mc file is:
# /usr/share/doc/sendmail-doc/cf.README.gz
#
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
divert(0)dnl
#
#   Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Richard Nelson.  All Rights Reserved.
#
#  This file is used to configure Sendmail for use with Debian
systems.
#
define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.6-7 2002-10-18 13:16:10 cowboy Exp
$')
OSTYPE(`debian')dnl
DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl

define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.gmx.net')
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')
FEATURE(`genericstable')
FEATURE(`nocanonify', `canonify_hosts')
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE',     `True')dnl
define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS',     `e')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl

MAILER_DEFINITIONS
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

/etc/mail/submit.mc:
divert(-1)dnl
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# $Sendmail: submit.mc,v 8.12.6 2002-10-18 13:16:10 cowboy Exp $
#
# Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Richard Nelson.  All Rights Reserved.
#
# ./cf/debian/submit.mc.  Generated from submit.mc.in by configure.
#
# submit.mc prototype config file for building Sendmail 8.12.6
#
# Note: the .in file supports 8.7.6 - 8.12.6, but the generated
#       file is customized to the version noted above.
#
# This file is used to configure Sendmail for use with Debian systems.
#
# If you modify this file, you will have to regenerate
/etc/mail/submit.cf
# by running this file through the m4 preprocessor via one of the
following:
#       * `sendmailconfig`
#       * `make`
#       * `m4 /etc/mail/submit.mc > /etc/mail/submit.cf`
# The first two options are preferred as they will also update other
files
# that depend upon the contents of this file.
#
# The best documentation for this .mc file is:
# /usr/share/doc/sendmail-doc/cf.README.gz
#
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
divert(0)dnl
#
#   Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Richard Nelson.  All Rights Reserved.
#
#  This file is used to configure Sendmail for use with Debian
systems.
#
define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: submit.mc, v 8.12.6-7 2002-10-18 13:16:10 cowboy Exp
$')
OSTYPE(`debian')dnl
DOMAIN(`debian-msp')dnl
dnl #
dnl #---------------------------------------------------------------------
dnl # Masquerading information, if needed, should go here
dnl # You likely will not need this, as the MTA will do it
dnl #---------------------------------------------------------------------
dnl MASQUERADE_AS()dnl
dnl FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
dnl #
dnl #---------------------------------------------------------------------
dnl # The real reason we're here: the FEATURE(msp)
dnl #---------------------------------------------------------------------
FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]', `MSA')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Some minor cleanup from FEATURE(msp)
dnl #

/etc/mail/genericstable:
uwp@localhost           keinfruehstuecksfleisch@gmx.net
uwp@nelix.local         keinfruehstuecksfleisch@gmx.net