Getting the penguin on linux 2.6

After three days of browsing various leads posted here[1], I
managed to get my spare computer running on linux 2.6 and
nVidia's binary-only video drivers (installed with the help of
the non-free "nvidia-graphics-drivers" packages).

Everything seems to be functional, including chromium, tuxracer
and armagetron.  My only remaining problem is getting the
framebuffer console to work.  I can get the console to work if I
don't enable framebuffer at boot time, i.e. if I boot without the
penguin mascot;-).

Any pointers?  FWIW I built my 2.6 kernel using a
framebuffer-capable /boot/config-2.4* saved (with no user-addled
changes) thru "make gconfig".

[1]e.g. http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/nvidia-2.6-Debian/index.html