Re: bash scripts misrepresenting white space

On Thursday December 25 at 08:45pm
Simon Law <sfllaw@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 07:44:16PM -0500, Johann Koenig wrote:
> > I try, for example:
> > for i in `ls`
> > do
> > echo $i
> > done
>
> You want:
>
>     for i in *
>     do
>         echo "$i"
>     done
>
> which will do what you probably want.  I'd suggest consulting the Bash
> info manual which should tell you what you need to know about quoting.

I tried reading the man page and the BASH Programming HOWTO, but I
couldn't really get what I needed out of either. Oh well, with you're
example to guide me, I got it right. If anybodies willing, please look
over the attached script and give any comments that come to mind.

About the script: It runs in the current directory and converts all
flacs to mp3s. I'm figuring I could wrap it in another script to
transverse my directory tree, running the conversion script in each one.
I tried to make it as modular as possible, but I may have gone a little
overboard.
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Social Distortion - Through These Eyes : White Light White