Re: New to Debian Install Problems

Russ Schneider wrote:

Hello, I'm trying Debian for the first time and I'm installing Woody on my old Sony Vaio P200 with 64MB RAM and a 4 GB HD.

I'm having problems everywhere!

When I get to "Install Kernel and Modules" it gives me an error. Nothing specific, just "had problems".

Then, once I try that 20 times or so, it might eventually go. Then when it's time to "Install Base System" it always hangs when it starts extracting files. Again, no useful error messages or anything, just hangs.

I'm at a complete loss.  Anyone face something similar?  Any suggestions?

I've seen this several times; it's usually caused by a bad floppy or a bad CDROM; sometimes by pointing the installer to the wrong location on the CD or the network. Since you usually have success after trying several times, this screams "scratched/damaged CD". You don't mention if you're installing from CD or what, but my guess is you are installing from CD, and the CD is scratched, dirty, or otherwise unreadable in this particular laptop's drive. If you don't have another CD, take it out and rub the shiny side against some flat surface covered with cloth (I usually use my shirt against my belly - note I'm not saying my belly's flat (it's not), but it suffices) - about 70% or so of the time that'll clean up the CD well enough for me to get past the problem spot.

--
Kent