New to Debian Install Problems

Hello, I'm trying Debian for the first time and I'm installing Woody on my
old Sony Vaio P200 with 64MB RAM and a 4 GB HD.

I'm having problems everywhere!

When I get to "Install Kernel and Modules" it gives me an error.  Nothing
specific, just "had problems".

Then, once I try that 20 times or so, it might eventually go.  Then when
it's time to "Install Base System" it always hangs when it starts
extracting files.  Again, no useful error messages or anything, just
hangs.

I'm at a complete loss.  Anyone face something similar?  Any suggestions?

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]