Realtek rtl8139 nic and 2.4.20 kernel

I upgraded my 2.2* Woody kernel to 2.4.20 to get support for my external
USB drive. I succeeded, but in the process lost my network connection
via my rtl8139 nic. The driver (8139too) was compiled, but it won't
connect.

Googling, I found a number of threads on this, going back as far as
March, but AFAICT, none of the threads ends up with a solution to the
problem. It was suggested in one thread that I add

append="noacip"

to my lilo.conf, but this does not do the trick. Has anyone heard of
a fix for this?

Chuck

Charles Muller
Faculty of Humanities