Re: Gnome-Session ? what's needed for Gnome ?

Uwe Dippel wrote:

> Installed quite a few of the stuff for Gnome; almost everything starting
> with gnome ... in apt-cache search.
> Still in kdm, it shows Gnome-session instead of Gnome. And when starting
> the Gnome-Session, I get the Gnome 2.4 splash-screen with WindowMaker
> icons on the desktop, the kdm-background remaining, no useable Gnome.

Have you installed gnome-control-center, gnome-panel etc?
I find it easy to type apt-cache search gnome|grep ^gnome to get a list og
gnome packages, and choose from there.
Also, instead of using WindowMaker, download metacity or sawfish.  These are
much lighter wms and seem to not step on Gnome's toes as much.

--