Reliable replication of installed packages

I'm trying to come up with a reliable process for "replicating" the set of installed packages from one Debian installation to another. I have two use-cases:

1. Restoring a system from backup.
2. Maintaining a secondary server.

I currently use a combination of "dpkg --get-selections" and "apt-show-versions", since my systems are mixed stable/testing with pinned preferences. This doesn't quite cut it, since I have to handle the testing packages by hand, but at least I can find out which packages need it. Also, in one recent attempt to bootstrap from a minimal installation, I had to run "dselect" since "apt-get" didn't seem to see the effects of "--get-selections".

Thanks,

Evan @ 4-am