Configuring External USB drive

I've recently installed Woody on my laptop, but have not been able to
get recognition of the external USB hard drive. I'm guessing, from
what I've found through Googling, that the problem lies either in
something called "framebuffering" or a lack of a SiS 7001 USB driver in
the Woody kernel.

I'm a Debian newbie, with a little bit of prior experience as an end
user with RedHat and Mandrake, but not a programmer or anything, so any
sort of beginner-oriented explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I tried this, and I'm wondering if it might yield any clues:

debian:/home/chuck# lspci

[...]

00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device
7002

I don't know what other information I should be providing here, so if
I've missed something important, please just tell me, and I'll try to
find it right away.

Thanks,

Chuck

Charles Muller