Re: libgdkxft0 in unstable removes all gtk2 stuff

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 11:52:26PM -0800, Marc Wilson said
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 06:32:53PM +1300, Paul William wrote:
> > In order to use anti-alised fonts in gtk1.2 app in you need to install
> > libgdkxft0 . The problem is that this seems to conflict with all gtk2
> > apps including gnome! "After unpacking 401MB disk space will be freed."
>
> Correct.

Package: libgtk2.0-0
Conflicts: ... libgdkxft0

Yes, they do Conflict.

> > Is there a way to install this package without dropping all gtk2 apps?
>
> No.

Do you really want to?

Package: libgdkxft0
 *** THIS WILL CAUSE APPLICATIONS TO CRASH, DIE, LOSE INFORMATION,
 AND OTHER NASTY EFFECTS.  DON'T USE THIS IF YOU WANT STABILITY ***
 .
 Using an LD_PRELOAD, this library can transparently add AA fonts to gtk+
 applications without recompiling.  There are no headers for this library.

More seriously, the horrible LD_PRELOAD trick this package plays will
cause GTK2 apps to fail (though I can't remember exactly why,
anyone?)...you could conceivable craft a wrapper script that only sets
up the LD_PRELOAD environment variable for gtk1.2 apps...it wouldn't
even bet that hard to do (grep the ldd output of the app you try to run,
set LD_PRELOAD if it links against libgtk1.2), but I guess no one has
cared enough to do so.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    bemd fissionable VX CDC NSA Subversion analyzer Subversion