Re: Challenge to the debian community: ethernet controller doesn't work in debian but in: SuSE, Fedora, Gentoo !!

Hi Kent !

Thanks for help !

With a hint from another newsgroup, to use "e100" driver, I finally managed
to set up network and internet connection (after some hurdles with
DHCP..)  !! Happy now !

I answer your questions below..

Regards and merry christmas

Axel

Kent West wrote:

> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra wrote:
>
>>Em Seg, 2003-12-22 às 12:28, Axel Burwitz escreveu:
>>

>>>installed , for my first Debian try, Debian Sarge from the "LinuxUser"
>>>magazine's DVD. After some hurldles it worked but:
>>>did'nt configure any network card, (and following eth0 etc.)
>>>

>>Which kernel does it have?
>>

> Good question. As I mentioned in an earlier reply to an earlier post
> concerning this, it sounds like Axel is running a 2.2 kernel and needs
> to upgrade to 2.4.
>
> So, Axel, which kernel does your Sarge have? The command "uname -a" will
> tell you. And if you do have a 2.2 kernel, you can upgrade with a
> command like "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686". You can see
> the available different flavors of kernels with a command like
> "apt-cache search kernel-image".

It has 2.4.22-bf2.4

>>>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a ethernet controller onboard, and the
>>>system info tool in kde detects:
>>>"Ethernet controller : Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1050 (rev02)
>>> Subsystem : Dell Computer Corp. Unknown device 0157"
>>>
>>>"lspci -v" shows the controller the same way as in Suse and the others...
>>>

>>What does lspci or cat /proc/pci says about Ethernet controllers?
>>

> Perhaps I'm missing something, but the Axel already answered the first
> part of your question, in the previous paragraph.

correct !