WINE - Does it actually work?

Okay, how do I get Win-9x and DOS programs to run using WINE? When I installed Linux, WINE was allegedly set up; and from what I could determine, all I would have to do to run a program under it is click on its executable file.

However, I have not been able to get anything to work with WINE this way. Every time I click on an .EXE file, WINE tries to run (there's a spinning hourglass icon in a minimized window for about 20 seconds), and then it quits with no warnings or other messages.

The man pages are pretty useless, and I also had a look at the installation guide here:

http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/applications/system/wine/wine-user/installing.html

and found it to be no help either.