Re: [OT] XTree

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:28:42AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) [031217 19:55]:
> No way! xtg was absolutely _indispensible_ in those days.  I don't
> think I ever ran into a PC without it.  Not twice, anyway ;-)  XTree
> still blows the pants off of any dos file manager (*cough* explorer)
> I've had the misfortune of using.
>
> Installing ytree now...
>
> Holy crap, that takes me back!  Awesome!

Well, I did like Xtree Gold (xtg) in those days of DOS very much, but,
later, I found the Norton Commander even more convincing, due to it's
duplicated directory display.

In my opinion, this is still the best file handling tool available,
mirrored nowadays by the Midnight Commander ('mc') for Linux (OK, I
still have to compile it myself in order to enable it to recover
deleted ext2 files.)

I am especially lucky with my ancient "ET4000" graphic card allowing a
brilliant 'DefaultMode "100x37x9_SVGA"' under 'SVGATextMode'.

This greatly enhances my files display under 'mc' or 'ytree', and adds
space to the right side of program texts, where lots of minor comments
can be added without having to insert extra commenting lines, so that
viewing the code text remains less disturbed.