modprobe says not found - insmod ok ????

After recently recompiling my kernel to 2.4.22 I am having a problem
with my usb mouse.  During boot, I get a msg from modprobe that module
usbmouse is not found.  However, it does exist in the
/lib/modules/xxx/kernel/drivers/usb directory where xxx matches the
output of uname-r.

So the net of this is I get to the kdm login screen with no mouse
capability.  If I switch to terminal 1 (i.e., C-A-F1), logon and issue
modprobe usbmouse, modprobe says the module is not found.  However if I
issue insmod usbmouse the module loads and the mouse works great.

Any ideas?  I have been reading all of the modxxx manpages and the doc
and have not been able to come up with anything.  All/any help would be
appreciated.

Lou