Re: What is happening to my harddrive?

Anim Asante wrote:
> Whenever I switch on my machine and, from time to
> time, I get the following message on the screen:
>    hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
>    ide0: reset: success
>    hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 {busy}
> What does this mean and how can I solve the problem?

I don't know what it means, probably a fault in the kernel driver.
Show the output of "hdparm /dev/hda" and the *early* portions of dmesg
that are relevant to hda and that way indentify your system a little
better.  "lspci" will show your IDE interface chipset and that probably
should be mentioned also.. You can keep the message off the screen by
setting "-c4" in /etc/init.d/klogd, although this fixes nothing.

I've had similar troubles with DMA operations using a VIA Technologies
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06).
The only cure seems to be to turn off DMA and wait for a bugfix. I've
no idea how to provide the kernel crew with any useful information, but
expect this to be a failure of VIA to release specifications to them.