Re: Changing bootloader and FS question

Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk> writes:

> My Debian 3.0 box, newly installed, is running LILO and Ext3.  Can I
> use 'dselect' to change the bootload to GRUB and FS to Reiser
> without making another clean installation.  OR is there any other
> way?.

Not as such.  You can use dselect (or aptitude) to install the 'grub'
package, which will give you the GRUB files but not actually install
them.  Going through the GRUB manual will help you get this set up.

In general, you can't change filesystem types in place.  (ext2 to ext3
and back is an exception.)  You could nuke an existing partition and
create a new, empty reiserfs partition there, but that's probably not
what you're after.  It looks like modern GRUB does at least have
reiserfs support, which is handy for you.

	-- Abra Mitchell