Re: Dependencies of the Damned!

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:41:43PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm trying to install the newest avidemux (2.0.20) on my Testing system.
> Since Christian Marillat hasn't built a .deb of it, I have to build it.

<deleted>

> Can't be installed because it depends on libxrender1.1, which isn't going to
> be installed.  Continuing out of sheer stubbornness:
>
> 	apt-get install libxrender1.1

<deleted>

>            libxrender1 mozilla-browser mozilla-firebird mozilla-psm snd

And now you see why all that other stuff had to be removed.  It depends on
libxrender1, and you're trying to install libxrender1.1...

> This just doesn't look optimal.

It's doing exactly what you told it to do.  Since you asked for a single
package install, apt assumes you know exactly what you're doing.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Q: What do monsters eat?  A: Things.  Q: What do
 msw@cox.net |     monsters drink?  A: Coke.  (Because Things go better