Re: soundless in kazaa]

----- Forwarded message from Sam Rosenfeld <sam@wdn.com> -----

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:49:43PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:51:59PM -0500, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> > I installed Debian Woody about 6 months ago and to my knowledge have
> > not experienced sound since then, with one exception:  In using either
> > isapnptools or ALSA a test responded with a sound.  I have tried from
> > time to time to resurrect sound so that I could listen to music CDs on
> > my CD-Rom etc. but I haven't been able to.
> >

> > sam
>
> packages.debian.org is down at the moment so I don't know what kernels
> are available in stable (woody), I think that these are the same
> options.
> You don't need to recompile the kernel in order to install alsa. If you
> want to build the modules yourself, you will need to configure it
> though.
> To get the precompiled modules you will need the alsa-modules
> package. On unstable seems to only be a version for 2.4.22, so if you
> don't have a problem with running 2.4.22 on that computer (you should
> probably switch to 2.4.23 when the packages will be available)
> you will need alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-k6 and kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k6.

The most recent package I can easily get is: alsa-modules-2.4.16-k6,
which includes the kernel-image-2.4.16-k6 as a dependency.

I 'apt-get install'ed the alsa-modules pkg and during the installation
of the kernel-image package it stopped and asked me to 'add
initrd=/initrd to my /etc/lilo.conf file.  I already had an /initrd
link to a file in my /boot directory.  When I tried to run lilo after
changing the lilo.conf file, it balked and gave me a cryptic error
message (which I didn't write down).  When I tried to resume the
installation of the alsa-modules package, the process was halted and
exited.  What is all that about the initrd entry into lili.conf?

Thanks.

sam

----- End forwarded message -----