flash memory drives cannot initially mount rw -- SOLVED ODDLY

I mount using
   mount  LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2   /mnt
for my labeled (e2label /dev/sdb1 LEXAR-256MB-2) ext3 thumbsized
   Lexar JumpDrive Trio
which has inside the
   SanDisk Ultra II SD (Secure Digital) 256MB
flash memory switched to unlock,
attached to USB.
While this mounts /dev/sdb1 as ext3 READ-ONLY, I get the response
   mount: block device /dev/sdb1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
I get the same message if I initially try to force read-write,
   mount  -o rw  LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2  /mnt

After a couple hours trying to rectify this,
I found (the only Google response) this answer by Rick Moen at
**To correct this, I must enter
    mount -o rw,remount   /mnt
So, to mount my flash drive read-write, I must always mount in two steps,
   mount  LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2   /mnt
   mount -o rw,remount          /mnt

Curiously, when I first got this flash drive,
I could mount it as read-write with the single line
   mount  LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2   /mnt
as above.
However, after writing several files to this flash drive and unmounting this flash drive,
I could no longer mount it as above.
This severely confused my efforts.
So, perhaps the flash drive secures itself after it has some files.
Rick Moen had surmised that his flash drive also needed  "-o rw,remount"
because the flash drive knew it could only write about 10,000 times before it wore out
(don't forget to use the mount option "noatime" so Linux does not keep
writing to flash memory with the latest access time).

Another oddity:
I did the above on a "sid" distribution.
When I move this flash memory drive to a "woody" distribution,
    mount   LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2   /mnt
would mount the flash drive as a fat filesystem,
so  "ls -a"  returned no files.
I must specify the filesystem type to "woody" using
   mount  -t ext3   LABEL=LEXAR-256MB-2   /mnt
I suppose this just represents that my "woody" uses the older
version  2.11n-7  rather than the "sid" version 2.12-6
of "mount".

Since flash drives are praised as the replacement for diskettes (eg, by Dell),
in the Linux world, millions of desktop users are bound to be perplexed
and to never get their flash drives working.
Considering that these mount oddities hinder flash memory drives
from wearing out, I don't mind mind them NOW THAT I KNOW UNNATURAL
LINUX TRICKS.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"