Web "accelerator" (was Re: AT&T Internet Runner?)

on Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 04:58:57PM +0000, W. Citoan (wcitoan@yahoo.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:34:12 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >  Hi World!
> >
> >  Having recently switched to Mexican AT&T ISP, they sent me a CD with
> >  something called Internet Runner on it. I did not open it because I
> >  threw out my XP Professional.
> >
> >  It claims "speeds up to 4 times faster". Faster than what?
> >
> >  Anybody have a clue what that that thing might actually do?
>
> My ISP offers a similar service.  According to their description, they
> compress data on their server and then decompress it on your computer --
> which is why you need their software for it to work.  Your physical
> download speed stays the same, but your "effective" speed increases.  Of
> course, per their faq, it will also make some websites look worse
> because of the compress loss on images.
>
> I would assume AT&T is doing the same type of thing.

Likewise mine.  There's mixed comments on results, it seems buggy.

You can effectively get comperable bandwidth improvements with a
well-tuned local Squid caching proxy.  My own hit rate ranges between
10-25% of bytes, on a daily basis.  More utilization actually should
_increase_ hit rate.  Similarly, banner blocking (via image, site, or
userContent.css targeted blocking of banner sized elements) can also
provide considerable download savings.

And, if you run multiple Debian systems, run apt-proxy locally and point
your systems at it.

All told, I effectively double my nominal modem speed.

Peace.

   GNU/Linux & BSD:  We *are* the way out.
     http://www.wehadthewayout.com/