Re: dpkg -l output

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:36:38PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 02:56:10PM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > When I do 'dpkg -l' now all I get back are installed packages. I used
> > to have to grep for an initial 'i' to get just those. How do I see *all*
> > available packages?
>
>   dpkg -l \*

Ah! There's a subtle difference between what you wrote and what I wrote
and that difference was my confusion.

Evidently, even though the man page does not indicate it, 'dpkg -l'
*without* a package-name-pattern lists all not-uninstalled packages.
The man page does not indicate that the package-name-pattern is optional
nor what happens when it is omitted.

> It's been like this ever since I started using Debian, IIRC.

When I don't use a command for a long time I forget some of the details
of what I used to do -- like including a pattern.

--
"Put your talent into your work, but your genius into your life."
		-- Oscar Wilde