Re: wireless network problems

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:54:54PM -0700, Tim Folger wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Linux, and have installed debian woody with the
> bf2.4 kernel. I'm having trouble getting my orinoco wireless card to
> work. The card beeps during startup, and its green light flickers, but
> doesn't stay on. When I run iwconfig eth1 the output gives the correct
> essid and nickname, but says that the encryption key is turned off, even
> though I've specified a key in /etc/network/interfaces.  Here's what
> I've entered in /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
> wireless_essid (my network name)
> wireless_mode managed
> wireless_key (a combination of five numbers and letters)
> wireless_nick (computer's nickname)
> wireless_channel 10
>
> Is there another parameter I need to enter to turn on wireless
> encryption? Or am I missing something else?

I have the same card.
Are you using 40 or 128 bit encryption?

Have you tried setting encryption manually?

Such as:
~$ iwconfig eth1 enc 01234567890123456789123456

(for 128 bit encryption there are 26 characters needed and for
the 40 bit encryption there are 10 characters needed...I think...
so if you are using only 5 characters...that may be the problem)

Also, have you played around with /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts ?
I don't use the interfaces file for the wireless settings
like you do.  All my configuration in in wireless.opts
and the only thing in my interfaces file is this:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

One other thing, I remember vaguely having trouble with the
bf24 kernel and wireless.  Maybe you can try to do a custom kernel?

Also what do you have for modules?

This is what I have when I do lsmod:

orinoco_cs              4724   1
orinoco                37140   0 [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  6020   0 [orinoco_cs orinoco]

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Andy