Re: Name resolution on Debian/Windows network

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:58:52PM -0700, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>
> > I have 3 computers on my home network.  The Windows machines are
> > connected to each other using ICS.  I can ping one Windows machine
> > from another Windows machine simply by naming the destination:
> >
> > ping windowsB
> >
> > from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  I can also ping my
> > Linux machine from a Windows machine by name:
> >
> > ping linuxA
> >
> > from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  However, I cannot ping
> > one of the Windows machines by name from the Linux machine, only by IP
> > number.  I get the message 'unknown host windowsA.'  I am using DHCP
> > to assign IP numbers on the network, so it is important that I be able
> > reach machines by name as the IP numbers change.  I'm not even sure
> > where to start looking to resolve this problem, so any guidance would
> > be appreciated.
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied.  I've learned from your suggestions.
> Several people suggested populating /etc/hosts, but I can't do that
> because I'm using DHCP.  I figure DHCP is running on the Windows NT
> machine (which is the one with the Internet connection) because it's
> the only one whose IP address never changes.  Samba is installed and
> working.  I am able to share from any machine to any machine.  One post
> suggested setting up my own bind.  I don't know where to start with
> this.  There is only a hub in my system, no router or switch.
>
> Here's some new information that I think is significant:  When I ping
> linuxA from linuxA, I get a response, but the IP number is 127.0.0.1,
> not the IP number that has been assigned by the DHCP server.  I
> understand that it is picking up the number from /etc/hosts.  That
> seems appropriate because /etc/host.conf contains order hosts,bind,
> which tells the name resolver to look first in hosts.  If I take hosts
> out of the line (leaving only bind), I get the same result because the
> resolver is still looking in hosts (perhaps because bind is not
> running?).
>
> I also noticed that hostname --fqdn on linuxA returns only linuxA (not
> linuxA.domain.com).  I put domain.com in resolv.conf, but that entry
> has no effect on the output of hostname.
>
> I have a feeling that I am one step from a solution to the problem, but
> I'm not sure what these clues mean.
> --
> Jeffrey Barish

127.0.0.1 is a reserved IP always pointing to the local computer. You
could even do ping 127.0.0.1 on you windows machines to ping themselves
(another way is to use the reserved name localhost).
If you set up one of you windows machines for internet connection
sharing then it is acting as you dhcp server. You could try to set it
as you dns server in you resolv.conf and see if that solves you
problem. Another way (mostly good only for small networks) is to set
the IPs manually on each on you windows computers. Just make sure that
its on the same subnet.
I am guessing that the IP that doesn't change is 192.168.0.1 with
netmask 255.255.255.0
You could set each of your windows and linux machines to 192.168.0.<n>
and netmask 255.255.255.0 and then you will be able to use the
/etc/hosts solution.