Re: Debian Certified Laptops!

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Has anyone bought one of these?  Or any of the other models.  Care to
> share your experience?

LinuxCertified has kindly loaned me one to use as a test system in my
work on the Debian installer. It's a nice laptop, though about 3x the
size I'm used to (I used to use a sony picturebook, and my lifebook is
also quite small). The laptop seems retty solid and well built, and
fast. The CPU fan is huge, loud when on, and, in my opionion, badly
placed (under the laptop, with a warning label saying to only use it on
flat surfaces so there is proper air flow). The screen is large and
bright. Battery life so-so (I keep it plugged in most of the time, but I
think it lasts a couple hours.)

Their preloaded system looked very pretty (and my was it snappy at least
to me), but I immediatly blew it away with debian-installer testing, and
have not bothered to reinstall X again yet. Instead it gets a new debian
install every day. It is better supported by the sarge installer every
day, I can say that! :-)

Their certification program and documentation looks pretty good.
Apparently it has a winmodem, but they even got that working.

--
see shy jo