USB printer and TurboPrint

I have installed TurboPrint several times before with success in using my USB printer. That was BEFORE I enabled USB support in my new kernel. I am now running 2.4.23 kernel with USB support enabled so that it would configure my USB keyboard and mouse as USB devices and not as generic devices. But now, I can't get my printer working. I have 'cat' all usblp* devices in /dev and get a lot of strange characters so I would imagine that it is getting the signal from the printer. I have also 'cat' all the lp* in /dev/usb and got 'no such device' telling me that this kernel uses the USB printers as /dev/usblp0 and /dev/usblp1. I get the same output from cat of usblp0 and usblp1, but when I try to use lpr to print a testpage, nothing happens. I don't get any error messages but the printer doesn't even blink or anything to signal that it is at least trying....

any suggestions? I would hate to have to disable USB support in my kernel just to be able to print...

-Doug