Re: Problem with swiss-german on testing / unstable

Uwe Dippel wrote:

I need some help on keyboard layout; can anyone point me to a good
description ?
This is the trouble: I'm using Swiss-German as keyboard layout. Using
dpkg-reconfigure I could set the non-X behaviour to be okay (qwertz, Alt
Gr 2 = <at>.
When I start X, however, it won't. With "us" in XF86Config-4 I get a
'good' qwerty, us.
With "sg" as "XkbLayout", I get the correct qwertz, Umlaute äöü, but
all Alt Gr is dead. Since backslash and <at> are Alt Gr 2 resp. Alt Gr <,
this is really troublesome !
What I'm getting instead, are (arg: 2) for Alt Gr 2 and a former user input for Alt Gr <.

"Works for me" won't help, since I have another machine on Unstable, for
which it actually does work without problem. And i have no clue, why it
wouldn't here. There is not much of a difference, both are USB-keyboards.
And I even upgraded the current machine from Testing to Unstable; but
without any change on this.

Thanks in Advance !

What are you using to configure the keyboard under X ? I encountered your problem once, I'm using testing / unstable with a swiss-french layout, configuring through "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" with XKB rule set to XFree86 and keyboard layout fr_CH (swiss-german would be sg_CH) and without keyboard options nor variants solved it.

in my XF86Config-4, I got

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "keyboard"
       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr_CH"
EndSection

hope it helps a bit,