Re: access denied

Gruessle wrote:

I just checked the fstab manual
My understanding of it is that it is used to mount devices like hard
drives cdroms etc.

In my case it is that I am in front of the win2000 machine and I can see
the actual files in my Debian box but I can't add files or folders from
the win2000 machine.
However I can do all that from the Debian machine.

Does this still sound like the problem you had and do you still think it
has to do with fstab?
I am asking because there is one option about mounting partitions from
remote systems. An option called nfs.

I somehow managed to misread your post. My problem was on a machine that has both Debian and Windows-98SE. When I would mount the Windows partitions manually, only root could do anything with them. When I added them to fstab, then they were accessible normally.

Over the network, I mount partitions on other systems via Samba. So, i'm not yet familiar with nfs.