Re: woody - crash.

not sure who said what, but if your readin the thread then you know...

>> My woody - with 2.4.22 crashed today.
>> The problem is that i dont know what actually Oopsed. There is nothing
>> about it in logs.

Half of my crashes have been directly related to memory.
I do thus
run memtest86 then run the linux test project script.
This will crash your system, shake out all that instability.....
Tell you if your system is solid.
I run it after every kernel upgrade. Takes a few hours.
People keep using the server, so it doesn't add to my downtime.

This summer I spend 3 months resolving a crash on a system, I finally
learned that my cpus' weren't rated for my bus, and when I clocked them
down from 1.8 to 1.1 it fixed the crash. It was a drawn out process to
figure this out.

I also enable the reboot on panic so the system will reboot on a kernel
panic.
#reboot machine 10 seconds after a kernel panic.
echo 10 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman