[OT] Latex Q - page number appears on pg 1 with empty pagestyle

I am writing a document with latex using the article document
class. The problem is that when setting \pagestyle{empty} either in
the preamble or after the \begin{document} I still get a page number on
the first page. Since there are guidelines for submitting this one this
is a big no no.
Any idea on how to get read of this page number (I don't mind hacking
into the style files if needed, but I don't know raw tex so a little
help can go a lot of way)
This is the version from unstable.

Thanx